As this was my second time attending Information Online, there was less "gloss".
As with most events there are a few sessions which stood out for me [edit 17 Feb 2009: I've added the link to the full paper below]:
Session B4 – Jane Burke, Serials Solutions
“What’s beyond the OPAC: discovery layer services”
Builds on earlier comments made by John Law, also part of Proquest
Difficulty identifying appropriates resources.
“Put systems together that speak to them in a very simple way”
- User’s want to search first!
- Connector tech [NISO MXG]
- Don’t bury it, embed it
- Don’t worry about result physical format
- Full keyword searching
- Relevance ranking
- Simple user interface, graphical
- Put facets on left not right (this is where Google puts it’s ads)
- VUfind – Villanova University
- Summa – Netherlands/Swedish??
- XC (extensible catalogue)